zondag 20 maart 2011

Outer Shaping

The past two weeks I've been working on the outer shape of the flute. First of the middle section, which actually includes the sockets, so at the end of that I could fit the part of my flute together! (The foot section still remained a crude conoid for another week, though so it didn't look like much in the beginning :-) )

I've found out the hard way that the wood cones that we normally use to center the pieces with a finished internal bore shape don't cut it for fragile structures like a 3mm pearwood socket. They don't cut it -- they break it, because of the pressure put onto the socket by the conical shape. So after some glue on the largest socket, the second week I've set out to make a wood cylinder to snugly fit the bore instead. Several sections later I had adapted this cylinder so often that it had become all stepped:



And in the end I had three different sections, all already quite close to their final shape:



And fitting together!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten